New York, N.Y.
91.9 linear feet
Addition: 8.0 linear feet
Collection Summary: The records of New York City Kraushaar Galleries measure 91.9 linear feet and date from its establishment in 1885 to 2006. Three-fourths of the collection documents the gallery's handling of contemporary American paintings, drawings, and sculpture through correspondence with artists, private collectors, museums, galleries, and other art institutions, interspersed with scattered exhibition catalogs and other materials. Also included are John F. Kraushaar's estate records; artists' files; financial ledgers documenting sales and gallery transactions; consignment and loan records; photographs of artwork; sketchbooks and drawings by James Penney, Louis Bouché, and others; and two scrapbooks.
Biographical/Historical Note: Kraushaar Galleries (1885-) is an art gallery in New York, N.Y Established 1885 by Charles W. Kraushaar as the Kraushaar Galleries as a small store on Broadway near 31st Street. Charles and brother John F. Kraushaar moved the Galleries in 1901 to 260 Fifth Ave. and began adding more modern French and American painters. They became interested in "The Eight" group of American realists. George Luks, a member of "The Eight" was probably the first major Amerian artist represented at Kraushaar, and in 1917 John Sloan was invited to hold his first one-person show there. John assumed control upon Charles' death in 1917, and, ca. 1920, enlisted his daughter, Antoinette (b. 1902) to assist him. In 1919, the business moved to 680 Fifth Avenue, and in 1936 to 730 Fifth Avenue. While the Kraushaar Galleries exhibited mostly European artists in the early years, by the time John Kraushaar died in 1946, American art had become the focus of the business. In 1950, Antoinette Kraushaar assumed sole ownership. Carole Pesner joined as President in 1959, and Katherine Kaplan Degn as director in 1986. Antoinette retired in 1988 and died in 1992. The gallery is still in business at 724 Fifth Avenue.
53.5 linear feet of records were donated to the Archives of American Art by Kraushaar Galleries in three separate accessions in 1959, 1994, and 1996. Katherine Kaplan of Kraushaar Galleries donated an additional 38.4 linear feet in 2008-2009 and an 7.8 linear feet in 2012.
Processing of the collection was supported with funding from the Getty Grant Program and the Smithsonian Collections Care Fund.
How to Use this Collection
- Read the Finding Aid for this collection
- Materials lent for microfilming in 1956 are available on microfilm reels NKR1-NKR3 at Archives of American Art offices and through interlibrary loan.
- Authorization to publish, quote or reproduce requires written permission from Katherine Kaplan Degn, Kraushaar Galleries, 74 East 79th St., Suite 9B, New York, N.Y. 10075
- Use of original papers requires an appointment and is limited to the Archives' Washington, D.C., Research Center. Microfilmed materials must be consulted on microfilm. Contact Reference Services for more information.
- For more information on using the Archives’ resources, see the FAQ or Ask Us.
Also in the Archives
Related MaterialsAlso in the Archives are records lent to the Archives for microfilming in 1956 (reels NKR1-NKR3), and returned to Kraushaar Galleries, including: a book of clippings from 1907 to 1930, primarily of exhibition reviews; loose clippings and catalogs of exhibitions from 1930 to 1946; and a group of photographs and clippings relating to George Luks and other artists.
Also in the Archives is an untranscribed oral history interview with Antoinette Kraushaar, 1982.