Benjamin, Karl, b. 1925
Active in Claremont, Calif.
Collection size: 12 items
Collection Summary: Correspondence and clippings relating to Karl Benjamin's career as a painter and teacher.
Nine letters, (five are photocopies), are from Benjamin to a variety of people and relate to Benjamin's art shows, his career in general, and his work with colleagues, as well as an exchange of letters between a former student of Benjamin's, Mitzi Wells, who recalls Benjamin as an art teacher.
Clippings include a printed letter written and submitted by Benjamin to the Los Angeles Times on August 30, 1978 regarding Proposition 13, and a newspaper article from the Chino Champion, February 28, 1975, regarding a beautification project Benjamin was involved in at Gird Elementary in Chino, Calif. Also included is a photograph of Benjamin's grandaughter as a baby, 1977.
Biographical/Historical Note: Karl benjamin (1925- 2012) was a painter and instructor in Claremont, Calif.
Donated 1980 by Karl Benjamin.
How to Use this Collection
- Microfilm reel 2786 available at Archives of American Art offices and through interlibrary loan.
All but one letter from Benjaimn to Paul Karlstrom dated 1975 Feb. 28 are available on 35 microfilm reel 2786 at Archives of American Art offices and through interlibrary loan.
- Use of original papers requires an appointment and is limited to the Archives' Washington, D.C., Research Center. Microfilmed materials must be consulted on microfilm. Contact Reference Services for more information.
- For more information on using the Archives’ resources, see the FAQ or Ask Us.
Also in the Archives
- Oral history interview with Karl Benjamin, 1981 September 10-12
- Image and Media Gallery items from other collections related to Benjamin, Karl