Solman, Joseph, b. 1909 d. 2008
Painter, Educator, Printmaker
Active in New York, N.Y.; Mass.
200 items (on 1 microfilm reel)
ADDITION: 0.2 linear ft.
Collection Summary: REEL N68-98: A card record of paintings; biographical notes; a statement on art; writings; exhibition catalogs and notices; clippings; sketches; and a scrapbook.
ADDITION: A letter to the editor regarding Barnett Newman; installation photograph of the Kunsterplakate exhibition, 1980; two books, Monotypes of Joseph Solman (Da Cappo Press, 1977), and Joseph Solman (Da Cappo Press, 1995); exhibition catalogs, 1977-1986; and clippings, 1957-1998.
Biographical/Historical Note: Painter, educator; New York, N.Y. and Gloucester, Mass. Solman was a member of The Ten, an influential artists' group of the late 1930s.
Papers on reel N68-98 lent for microfilming 1968 by Joseph Solman; he donated monographs and printed material in 1998.
How to Use this Collection
- Microfilm reel N68-98 available at Archives of American Art offices and through interlibrary loan.
- Use of original papers requires an appointment and is limited to the Archives' Washington, D.C., Research Center. Microfilmed materials must be consulted on microfilm. Contact Reference Services for more information. ADDITION: Unmicrofilmed; use requires an appointment and is limited to AAA's Washington, DC office.
- For more information on using the Archives’ resources, see the FAQ or Ask Us.
Also in the Archives
- Oral history interview with Joseph Solman, 1981 May 6-8
- Image and Media Gallery items from other collections related to Solman, Joseph