Pennell, Joseph, b. 1857 d. 1926
Painter, Author, Illustrator, Engraver
Active in Pelham Manor, N.Y.
Collection size: 52 items (on 2 partial microfilm reels)
Collection Summary: Letters from Pennell to various individuals.
REEL 3898: 17 letters written by Pennell from London and New York to various individuals. Some of the letters regard French culture, exhibitions in Paris and London, and art in America. Two letters to Thornton Oakley regard the Philadelphia Watercolor Club. Also includes the title page layout for "Play in Provence" by Pennell and his wife.
REEL D10: Letters from Pennell to E. Mathens, Gerald Christy, John Lane, William S. Evans, Bookman, C.M.R., The Ironmonger, Joseph Jackson, E. J. Sleigh, A. (Albert) Rosenthal, Mr. and Mrs. Andrew Wright Crawford, Stanley V. Henkels, Henry S. Bonerman, S.I.C.S., and other unidentified people, 1890-1925. Also included is a form filled out by Pennell for the Societe des Aquafortistes Belges and clippings.
Biographical/Historical Note: Printmaker; Philadelphia, Pa. Married Elizabeth Robins Pennell.
Material on reel 3898 lent for microfilming 1987 as part of AAA's Philadelphia Arts Documentation Project. Material on reel D9 donated 1955-1962 by Charles E. Feinberg, an active donor and friend of AAA.
How to Use this Collection
- Microfilm reel 3898 available at Archives of American Art offices, through interlibrary loan and at the Free Library of Philadelphia.
microfilm reel D10 available at Archives of American Art offices and through interlibrary loan.
- Use of original papers requires an appointment and is limited to the Archives' Washington, D.C., Research Center. Microfilmed materials must be consulted on microfilm. Contact Reference Services for more information.
- For more information on using the Archives’ resources, see the FAQ or Ask Us.
Also in the Archives
- Joseph Pennell papers, 1908-1935
- Image and Media Gallery items from other collections related to Pennell, Joseph