Hirshhorn, Joseph H., b. 1899 d. 1981
Collector, Businessperson, Philanthropist
Active in New York, N.Y.
Lerner, Abram, b. 1913 d. 2007
Active in Washington,D.C.
Collection size: 1 sound cassette.
Collection Summary: An interview of Abram Lerner and an interview of Joseph Hirshhorn conducted by Emily Nathan for Radio Smithsonian.
Biographical/Historical Note: Joseph Hirshhorn (1899-1981) was an art collector in New York, N.Y. Abram Lerner was Director of the Hirshhorn Museum and Sculpture Garden, Smithsonian Institution, Wash., D.C. Hirshhorn donated his collection of modern and contemporary art to the Smithsonian Institution, 1966. The Hirshhorn Museum and Sculpture Garden opened in 1974.
Donated 1981 by Emily Nathan.
How to Use this Collection
- Use of original papers requires an appointment and is limited to the Archives' Washington, D.C., Research Center. Contact Reference Services for more information.
- For more information on using the Archives’ resources, see the FAQ or Ask Us.
Also in the Archives
- Armory Show (International Exhibition of Modern Art) memorabilia, 1913
- Joseph Hirshhorn letter, 1958
- Oral history interview with Joseph H. Hirshhorn, 1976 Dec. 16