Copley, John Singleton, b. 1738 d. 1815
Active in Boston, Mass.
Collection size: 1 item (on 1 microfilm frame)
Collection Summary: Signed receipt for Mr. Boydell acknowledging "one hundred & sixty four pounds five shillings being the remainder of Eight hundred pounds and in full for Painting a Picture of the Death of Major Pearson [sic]." Copley later bought back the painting. "Death of Major Pierson" now hangs in the National Gallery, London.
Biographical/Historical Note: Portrait and historical painter; Boston, Mass. and London, England.
Donated 1958 by Charles Feinberg.
How to Use this Collection
- Microfilm reel D8; frame 487 available for use at Archives of American Art offices and through interlibrary loan.
- Use of original papers requires an appointment and is limited to the Archives' Washington, D.C., Research Center. Microfilmed materials must be consulted on microfilm. Contact Reference Services for more information.
- For more information on using the Archives’ resources, see the FAQ or Ask Us.
Also in the Archives
- John Singleton Copley letter to Samuel Adams, 1795 Oct 8
- John Singleton Copley note, [ca. 1800]
- Image and Media Gallery items from other collections related to Copley, John Singleton