Canaday, John Edwin,
New York, N.Y.
Collection size: 5.0 linear ft. (on 12 microfilm reels)
Collection Summary: Correspondence; scrapbooks; writings; and clippings.
REELS D257-259: Scrapbooks containing clippings of art columns from newspapers, 1932-1962. 16 volumes.
REELS NYJC 1-NYJC 6: Correspondence with artists and others regarding Canaday's articles and reviews written for the NEW YORK TIMES, 1959-1965.
REEL 3482: A letter to Canaday, October 7, 1960, from Si Lewen regarding Canaday's "call for a 'moratorium on art' and an invitation to all artists to occupy themselves with domestic service."
REEL 1393: Correspondence which Canaday received and sent as art critic for the NEW YORK TIMES. The letters are mostly from the general public, but also from museum staff, other critics, and artists. Many are about the Metropolitian Museum of Art and Barnett Newman. Correspondents include Jacob Burck, Edward and Rosamund Corbett, Stuart Davis, Thomas Hoving, Majorie and Virginia Lewisjohn, Bob Osborne, E. P. Richardson, and Tessim Zorach. Other items include drafts of articles, clippings, and a photo of Canaday in Venice, 1935.
REEL 4909 (fr. 944-948) A one page letter to Canaday from Nora Scott, February 18, 1973.
UNMICROFILMED: A letter from Balcomb Greene to John Canaday, March 14, 1960, written upon reading a review by Canaday of an exhibition of members of the American Abstract Artists art organization, in which Greene provides information and his reminiscences about the organization and several of its members.
Biographical/Historical Note: Art critic; New York, N.Y. Died 1985.
Material on reels 1393, 3482, D257-D259, and 4909 was donated 1966-1974 by John Canaday. Material on reels NYJC 1-NYJC 6 was lent for microfilming 1965 by Canaday.
How to Use this Collection
- Microfilm reels 1393, D257-D259, NYJC1-NYJC6, 3482, and 4909 available at Archives of American Art offices and through interlibrary loan.
- Use of original papers requires an appointment and is limited to the Archives' Washington, D.C., Research Center. Microfilmed materials must be consulted on microfilm. Contact Reference Services for more information.
- For more information on using the Archives’ resources, see the FAQ or Ask Us.
Also in the Archives
- Oral history interview with John Canaday, 1971 Aug. 17-24
- Image Gallery items from other collections related to Canaday, John Edwin