Brown, Joan, b. 1938 d. 1990
Active in San Francisco, Calif.
Addition: 0.6 linear ft.
Collection Summary: REELS 722-723: Correspondence, 1959-1974, chiefly with galleries and museums; biographical material, including lists of paintings and collections where Brown is represented; 21 catalogues and announcements; 29 clippings; a baby book, 1962-1971, about her son, Noel; 45 photographs, including photos of Brown, artists, her husbands Manuel Neri and Gordon Cook, Leo Valledor, and Jay DeFeo, gallery owner George Staempfli, and collages which were later destroyed. Much of the material in the photographs and baby book was used as subject matter and inspiration for her paintings.
ADDITION: Biographical material, letters, bibliography, newspaper and magazine articles, exhibition catalogs and announcements, 1974-1990.
Biographical/Historical Note: Painter, professor; San Francisco, Calif.; d. 1990. Studied at the California School of Fine Arts 1955-1960 under Elmer Bischoff and others. Killed in an accident in Proddatura, India.
Material on reels 722-723 was lent for microfilming 1974 by Joan Brown. Additonal papers donated 1992 by the Joan Brown estate via Michael Hebel, Brown's husband and executor.
How to Use this Collection
- Microfilm reels 722 and 723 available at Archives of American Art offices and through interlibrary loan.
- Use of original papers requires an appointment and is limited to the Archives' Washington, D.C., Research Center. Microfilmed materials must be consulted on microfilm. Contact Reference Services for more information.
- For more information on using the Archives’ resources, see the FAQ or Ask Us.
Also in the Archives
- Oral history interview with Joan Brown, 1975 July 1-September 9
- Image and Media Gallery items from other collections related to Brown, Joan