Cropsey, Jasper Francis, b. 1823 d. 1900
Active in New York, N.Y.
Collection size: 5 microfilm reels.
Collection Summary: Correspondence; diaries; sketchbooks; journals; and an account book.
REELS 336-337 and 905: Correspondence, diaries, several sketch books with notes, loose sketches, an account book of expenditures and receipts (1845-1868), an order book for artists' proofs of engravings, architectural drawings, exhibition catalogs, clippings, and miscellany.
REEL 4086: Illustrated journals, 1845-1855.
REEL 2378: Sketchbook, 1855-1856, containing mainly annotated pencil sketches of landscapes in New York, Michigan, and Canada.
Biographical/Historical Note: Landscape painter; New York, N.Y. Cropsey designed and superintended the Sixth Ave. El stations of New York City.
Microfilm reel 2378 donated 1982 by the Bentley Historical Society. Material on reels 336-337, 905 & 4086 lent for microfilming 1972-1988 by the Newington-Cropsey Foundation.
How to Use this Collection
- Microfilm reels 336-337, 905, 2378 and 4086 available for use at Archives of American Art offices and through interlibrary loan.
- Reels 336-337, 905 and 4086: Authorization to publish, quote or reproduce any materials on the microfilm must be obtained from: The Newington-Cropsey Foundation, 49 Washington Avenue, Hastings-on-Hudson, New York 10706.
Reel 2378: Authorization to publish, quote or reproduce must be obtained from: Reference Archivist, Bentley Historical Library, University of Michigan, 1150 Beal Avenue, Ann Arbor, Michigan 48109
- Use of original papers requires an appointment and is limited to the Archives' Washington, D.C., Research Center. Microfilmed materials must be consulted on microfilm. Contact Reference Services for more information.
- For more information on using the Archives’ resources, see the FAQ or Ask Us.
Also in the Archives
- Jasper Francis Cropsey letters, 1855-1856
- Image and Media Gallery items from other collections related to Cropsey, Jasper Francis