Davis, Jim, b. 1901 d. 1974
Painter, Photographer, Filmmaker
Active in New York, N.Y.
Collection size: 3.4 linear ft. (on 7 microfilm reels)
Collection Summary: Correspondence; photographs; drawings; sketches and designs; typescripts; exhibition announcements and clippings.
REELS 430-433: Correspondence; ca. 1000 photographs of Davis's paintings, plastic mobiles, motion studies; 13 notebooks containing photos and notes on his films, visual design, plastics, Frank Lloyd Wright and other subjects; exhibition announcements; and clippings. Correspondents include Rosalind Kossoff (Director AF Films and FilmImages), John Marin, Frank Lloyd Wright, Len Lye, Sibyl and Laszlo Moholy-Nagy, Norman De Marco, Alfred Stieglitz, Wynant Vanderpool, Edward Steichen, and others.
REEL N712: Sketches, designs, and working papers relating to Davis's plastic constructions, mobiles, and abstract art films; photos of works; a file on Davis's exhibition at Princeton, 1963; statements on his work; and typescripts, "Notes on Frank Lloyd Wright," and "Notes on John Marin."
REEL N738: Selection of drawings, 1919-1950, with explanatory notes by Davis.
REEL N68-86A: Sixteen letters from John Marin, 1940-1947.
UNMICROFILMED: Slides and miscellany.
Biographical/Historical Note: Painter, photographer, filmmaker; Princeton, New Jersey. Davis's specialty was abstract art. He studied with Andre Lhote in Paris.
Material on reels N172, N68-86A, N738 lent 1967-1968 for microfilming by James E. Davis. Material on reels 430-433 donated 1969 by Davis and Rosalind Kossoff, Davis's agent.
How to Use this Collection
- Microfilm reels N738, N712, N68-86A and 430-433 available at Archives of American Art offices and through interlibrary loan.
- Use of original papers requires an appointment and is limited to the Archives' Washington, D.C., Research Center. Microfilmed materials must be consulted on microfilm. Contact Reference Services for more information.
- For more information on using the Archives’ resources, see the FAQ or Ask Us.
Also in the Archives
- Oral history interview with James Edward Davis, 1971 August 10
- Image and Media Gallery items from other collections related to Davis, Jim