Lawrence, Jacob, b. 1917 d. 2000
Active in New York, N.Y.; Seattle, Wash.
Knight, Gwendolyn, b. 1914 d. 2005
Active in Seattle,Wash.
The papers of Jacob Lawrence and Gwendolyn Knight in the Archives of American Art were digitized in 2007. The papers have been scanned in their entirety, and total 9,843 images.
Funding for the processing and digitization of this collection was provided by the Terra Foundation for American Art
9.0 linear feet
Addition: 26.7 linear feet
Collection Summary: Biographical material, correspondence, writings, exhibition files, works of art, financial records and printed material documenting the careers of African-American artists Jacob Lawrence and Gwendolyn Knight.
Biographical/Historical Note: Jacob Lawrence (1917-2000) was an African-American painter and educator in New York, New York and Seattle, Washington. Born Jacob Armstead Lawrence, September 17, 1917, Atlantic City, N.J. He died June 9, 2000, in Seattle. Worked for the WPA's Federal Art Project and taught at Black Mountain College, in North Carolina, Pratt Institute (1956-1971), Brandeis University (1965), The New School (1966), the Art Students League (1967), the University of Washington, and others. Lawrence was married to African-American painter, Gwendolyn Knight.
Donated 1979-1997 by Lawrence and Gwendolyn Knight and 2012 by the Jacob and Gwen Knight Lawrence Foundation via Barbara Earl Thomas, representative.
Funding for the processing and digitization of this collection was provided by the Terra Foundation for American Art.
How to Use this Collection
- Read the Finding Aid for this digitized collection
- A portion of the collection,1945-1995, donated between 1979-1997 was digitized in 2007 and is available via the Archives of American Art's website. Materials which have not been scanned include books, miscellaneous printed material, and photographs of artwork.
- Use of original papers requires an appointment and is limited to the Archives' Washington, D.C., Research Center. Contact Reference Services for more information.
- For more information on using the Archives’ resources, see the FAQ or Ask Us.
Also in the Archives
- Jacob Lawrence papers [microfilm], 1937-1992
- Oral history interview with Jacob Lawrence and Gwendolyn Knight, 1998 Nov. 18
- Oral history interview with Jacob Lawrence, 1968 Oct. 26
- Oral history interviews with Jacob Lawrence, 1982 July 20-Aug. 4
- Image Gallery items from other collections related to Lawrence, Jacob
Related MaterialsAdditional scattered materials loaned by Jacob Lawrence in 1966 were microfilmed by the Archives of American Art on reel D286.
Jacob Lawrence papers are available at the Syracuse University Library, Special Collections Department and were loaned to the Archives of American Art in 1993 for microfilming on reels 4571-4573.