Norman, Irving, b. 1906 d. 1989
Active in San Francisco, Calif.
Norman, Hela, b. 1927
Active in Half Moon Bay,Calif.
Collection size: 10.0 linear feet
Collection Summary: The papers of Irving and Hela Norman measure 10.0 linear feet and date from circa 1920 to 2010. The papers document the career of painter Irving Norman through biographical material; correspondence with family, friends, curators, art galleries, and museums; writings, exhibition records, personal business records, printed material, personal photographs, and photographs of his artwork. Also found are numerous audio and video interviews of Irving and Hela Norman.
Biographical/Historical Note: Irving Norman (1906-1989) was a painter in San Francisco, California.
A small amount of material was donated by Irving and Hela Norman in 1988-1989. The bulk of the collection was donated in 2011 by Hela Norman via Tom Von Tersch, Trustee.
How to Use this Collection
- Read the Finding Aid for this collection
- Use of original papers requires an appointment. Use of archival audiovisual recordings with no duplicate access copy requires advance notice.
- For more information on using the Archives’ resources, see the FAQ or Ask Us.
Also in the Archives
- [Interview with Irving Norman] [videorecording] / [produced by] Bay Area Video Coalition, Zeke Richardson and Larry Andrews, in cooperation with the Archives of American Art ; interviewer, Michael S. Bell, 1988 Mar. 5
- Image Gallery items from other collections related to Norman, Irving
Related MaterialsAdditional loaned material, including slides, photographs of artwork, and letters, was returned to Hela Norman in 1990 after microfilming. Loaned material is available on reel 4705 but is not described in the container listing of this finding aid.
Also in the Archives of American Art is a videorecording of an interview with Irving Norman, produced by Bay Area Video Coalition, Zeke Richardson and Larry Andrews, in cooperation with the Archives of American Art. The interview was conducted by Michael S. Bell, March 5, 1988.