Motherwell, Robert Burns
Painter, Printmaker, Draftsman (artist)
Active in New York, N.Y.
Size: Transcript: 15 p.
Format: Originally recorded on 2 sound cassettes. Reformated in 2010 as 3 digital wav files. Duration is 1 hr., 29 min.
Collection Summary: An interview of Robert Motherwell conducted 1981 Feb. 15, by Phyllis Tuchman, for the Archives of American Art's Mark Rothko and His Times oral history project.
Biographical/Historical Note: Robert Motherwell (1915-1991) was a painter from New York, N.Y.
This interview was conducted as part of the Archives of American Art's Mark Rothko and his Times oral history project, with funding provided by the Mark Rothko Foundation.
Funding for the digital preservation of this interview was provided by a grant from the Save America's Treasures Program of the National Park Service.
How to Use this Interview
- Authorization to publish, quote or reproduce must be obtained from Richard Rubin, Dedalus Foundation, 555 West 57th Street, Suite 1222, New York, NY 10019
- For more information on using the Archives’ resources, see the FAQ or Ask Us.
Also in the Archives
- Letter: Robert Motherwell, Provincetown, Mass., to Clyde M. Reedy, 1972 Sept. 11
- Oral history interview with Robert Motherwell, 1971 Nov. 24-1974 May 1
- Robert Motherwell lecture, 1973 Apr. 18
- Robert Motherwell postcard to William Baziotes, 1944
- Image Gallery items from other collections related to Motherwell, Robert Burns