Active in New York, N.Y.; Seattle, Wash.
Size: Transcript: 82 p.
Collection Summary: An interview of Jacob Lawrence and Gwendolyn Knight conducted 1998 Nov. 18, by Paul Karlstrom, for the Archives of American Art, in the artists' home in Seatle, Wash.
Biographical/Historical Note: Jacob Lawrence (1917-2000) was a painter and educator in Seattle, Wash. and New York, N.Y. Gwendolyn Knight (1914-2005) was the wife of Lawrence, as well as an artist, herself and lived in New York, N.Y. and Seattle Wash.
This interview is part of the Archives of American Art Oral History Program, started in 1958 to document the history of the visual arts in the United States, primarily through interviews with artists, historians, dealers, critics and administrators.
How to Use this Interview
- Use requires an appointment.
- For more information on using the Archives’ resources, see the FAQ or Ask Us.
Also in the Archives
- Jacob Lawrence and Gwendolyn Knight papers, 1945-1995, bulk 1973-1994
- Jacob Lawrence papers [microfilm], 1937-1992
- Oral history interview with Jacob Lawrence, 1968 Oct. 26
- Oral history interviews with Jacob Lawrence, 1982 July 20-Aug. 4
- Image Gallery items from other collections related to Lawrence, Jacob