Painter, Sculptor, Art teacher
Active in Wash.
Master: 12 videocassettes (Beta) (ca. 20 min. each): sd., col. : 1/2 in.
Reference copy: 4 videocassettes (U-matic) (60 min. each) : sd., col. ; 3/4 in.
Collection Summary: An interview of George Tsutakawa conducted by his daughter Mayumi Tsutakawa for the Archives of American Art, filmed in Tsutakawa's home and studio in Seattle, Wash. and at three of his fountain sculpture sites.
He discusses his youth and early education in Japan, demonstrates Sumi painting, and describes early Seattle art communities and University of Washington classes. He recalls his WWII experiences and his friendship with Mark Tobey and others, and explains the origins and evolution of fountain sculpture. Paul J. Karlstrom of the Archives of American Art introduces and concludes the interview.
This interview is part of the Archives of American Art Oral History Program, started in 1958 to document the history of the visual arts in the United States, primarily through interviews with artists, historians, dealers, critics and administrators. Funding for this interview was provided by a grant from Warner Communications. This interview was followed up in 1988 by documenting Tsutakawa's return to Fukuyama, Japan to dedicate a major work for the city's new museum of contemporary art (cataloged separately under George Tsutakawa in Japan video project), and used in the documentary "George Tsutakawa: An Artists' Pilgrimage" c1990 by the Archives of American Art (cataloged separately).
How to Use this Interview
- Authorization to publish, quote or reproduce must be obtained from: Archives of American Art.
- Use requires an appointment.
- For more information on using the Archives’ resources, see the FAQ or Ask Us.
Also in the Archives
- [George Tsutakawa in Japan video project] [videorecordings] / Archives of American Art, Smithsonian Institution ; producer, Paul J. Karlstrom ; director, Ken Levine ; videographer, Dan Gadd, 1988 Oct. 17 - Nov. 4
- George Tsutakawa papers, 1963-1991
- Oral history interview with George Tsutakawa, 1983 Sept. 8-19
- Image Gallery items from other collections related to Tsutakawa, George