Cremean, Robert, b. 1932
Active in Calif.
Edited version: 1 video cassette (15 min.)
Master: 3 video cassettes.
Collection Summary: Video interviews used in the documentary "Metaphor and Process: The Work of Robert Cremean," produced and directed by Patti and Jim Day, Marguay Productions. In addition to interviews of Cremean, other interviewees include Paul J. Karlstrom, West Coast Regional Director of the Archives of American Art; Phyllis J. Lutjeans, curator, gallery assistant, and professor; Bill Kelly and Michele Burgess, publishers of Cremean's book, Procustus Inn Register (Brighton Press, San Diego); Jacquelin Pilar, curator, Fresno Art Museum; and George Blair, Director, Fresno Art Museum and collector and patron of Cremean. Many of the interviews relate to Cremean's unusual arrangement with the Fresno Art Museum to be the main repository for his work. A 15 min. edited version of the interviews is included.
Biographical/Historical Note: Painter/sculptor; Tomalas, Calif.
Donated 1998 by Patti Day, owner of Marguay Productions. The final video was produced in conjunction with the planned exhibition of Cremean's "Procustus Trilogy." It was screened at Cal State University, Stanislaus, Fresno State University, and the Carnegie Center for the Arts in Turlock.
How to Use this Collection
- Archives of American Art does not hold copyright to material.
- Use of original papers requires an appointment and is limited to the Archives' Washington, D.C., Research Center. Contact Reference Services for more information.
- For more information on using the Archives’ resources, see the FAQ or Ask Us.
Also in the Archives
- Oral history interview with Robert Cremean, 1996 September 5
- Robert Cremean papers, 1957-1966
- Robert Cremean photographs, [ca. 1960]
- Image and Media Gallery items from other collections related to Cremean, Robert