Warshaw, Howard, b. 1920 d. 1977
Painter, Muralist, Printmaker
Active in Calif.; N.Y.
Collection size: 0.8 linear ft. (microfilmed on 3 reels)
Collection Summary: Correspondence; biographical data; writings; sketchbooks; sketches; teaching material; business records; exhibition catalogs and announcements; and miscellaneous material. REEL 700: Two sketchbooks containing 125 ink and watercolor sketches, 52 photos, and a few pages of notes. Many of the sketches, photos, and notes concern a mural, 1960, for the library at Bowdoin College, Brunswick, Maine, and a discussion of the same mural, December 12, 1969. Also included is a catalog of a retrospective exhibition at Pasadena Art Museum, June-July, 1955. REEL 859: Letters about Warshaw's mural projects, an article he wrote, his other work, personal matters; notes for his remarks at Rico Lebrun's funeral; drafts of his 1961 NATION article; business records; and miscellaneous items. REEL 2843: Biographical data and remarks about Warshaw by Karl With spoken at a Warshaw mural opening; correspondence, including a letter to Rear Admiral Mack, U.S. Navy, a letter from Robert Hatch, editor of THE NATION, and a letter from Umberto Romano, National Academy of Design; typescripts of speeches and lectures, including a Rico Lebrun eulogy; 9 writings on art; notes and pencil sketches; teaching material; exhibition catalogs and announcements; clippings; and miscellany.
Biographical/Historical Note: Painter, mural painter and educator; Carpinteria, California. Born 1920. Died 1977.
Material on reel 700 lent for microfilming 1974 by Howard Warshaw, he also donated material on reel 859 in 1974; material on reel 2843 donated 1983 by Mark Ferrer, step-son of Warshaw.
How to Use this Collection
- Microfilm reels 700, 859 & 2843 available for use at Archives of American Art offices and through interlibrary loan.
- Use of original papers requires an appointment and is limited to the Archives' Washington, D.C., Research Center. Microfilmed materials must be consulted on microfilm. Contact Reference Services for more information.
- For more information on using the Archives’ resources, see the FAQ or Ask Us.
Also in the Archives
- Howard Warshaw interview, 1974 Jan. 17-Mar. 28
- Image and Media Gallery items from other collections related to Warshaw, Howard