Inman, Henry, b. 1801 d. 1846
Active in New York, N.Y.
Collection size: 1 item (on partial microfilm reel).
Collection Summary: A letter to "My dear friend and pupil," January 25, 1841, telling of the death of his father-in-law. Inman tells his pupil he will not be able to give his usual lesson due to the funeral, and gives an at-home assignment instead.
Biographical/Historical Note: Portrait, miniature and landscape painter, and teacher; New York City. Inman was instrumental in the founding of the National Academy of Design, and was its Vice-President from 1826-1831.
Donated 1960 by Lawrence A. Fleischman.
How to Use this Collection
- Microfilm reel 3646 available at all offices of the Archives of American Art and through interlibrary loan.
- Use of original papers requires an appointment and is limited to the Archives' Washington, D.C., Research Center. Microfilmed materials must be consulted on microfilm. Contact Reference Services for more information.
- For more information on using the Archives’ resources, see the FAQ or Ask Us.
Also in the Archives
- Henry Inman letter to James McMurtrie, 1841 June 15
- Image and Media Gallery items from other collections related to Inman, Henry