Sound RecordingSound sample from Audio Structures/Systems exhibition
Henri Gallery (Washington, D.C.),
est. 1957 - 1996
Collection size: 54.6 linear feet
Collection Summary: The records of Henri Gallery, a Washington, D.C. gallery which showed painters from the Washington Color School and emerging artists, measure 54.6 linear feet and date from circa early 1900s, 1940 to 1996, with the bulk of the materials dating from 1957 to 1995. The gallery's relationship with artists and clients, exhibitions, sales, and other business is documented in alphabetical files containing a wide variety of materials, including correspondence, sales records, printed materials, photographs and slides. Additional correspondence, newspaper clippings, 114 exhibition posters, scattered drawings, illustrated cards, and photographic materials are also found in the collection.
Biographical/Historical Note: Henri Gallery (founded 1957; closed 1996) was an art gallery, in Washington, D.C. Operated by Henrietta Ehrsam (d. 1996), known as Henri. Est. 1957 in Alexandria, Virginia, moving ten years later to 21st and P Sts. in Washington, D.C. Among the artists exhibited were the painters of the Washington Color School, and young artists.
Henri donated the Henri Gallery records in three accessions between 1980 - 1981. Henri's daughter, Helen Schnoebelen donated additional records in 1996.
Funding for the processing of this collection was provided by the Smithsonian Institution Collections Care Preservation Fund.