Onslow-Ford, Gordon, b. 1912 d. 2003
Active in Inverness, Calif.
0.3 linear ft. (partially microfilmed on 2 reels)
Addition: 2 items.
Collection Summary: 13 studio notebooks and travel journals; and drafts of unpublished manuscripts.
REELS 1452-1453: Thirteen studio notebooks and travel journals, 1951-1973, containing numerous illustrations in watercolor, ink, and pencil, plus notes, observations, ideas for books and paintings, travel experiences, notes on art seen, etc. Onslow-Ford travelled to Japan, Hong Kong, Thailand, Tibet, India, Egypt, England, France, Spain, Central America, and Mexico.
UNMICROFILMED: Drafts of two unpublished manuscripts: an early version of "Instant Painting," ca. 1960-1961, and "Creation," summer of 1971.
ADDITION: Two draft calligraphic manuscripts for "Creation," ca. 1978, 44 oversize pages total.
Biographical/Historical Note: Painter; Inverness, Calif.; b. Dec. 26, 1912, Wendover, England; d. Nov. 9, 2003
Travel journals and notebooks lent for microfilming 1975. Manuscripts donated 1979 and 1992 by Gordon Onslow-Ford.
How to Use this Collection
- Microfilm reels 1452-1453 available for use at Archives of American Art offices and through interlibrary loan.
- Use of original papers requires an appointment and is limited to the Archives' Washington, D.C., Research Center. Microfilmed materials must be consulted on microfilm. Contact Reference Services for more information. Addition: Unmicrofilmed; use requires an appointment.
- For more information on using the Archives’ resources, see the FAQ or Ask Us.
Also in the Archives
- Gordon Onslow-Ford interview, 1970 Aug
- Oral history interview with Gordon Onslow-Ford, 1984 Mar. 26
- Image and Media Gallery items from other collections related to Onslow-Ford, Gordon