Cavallon, Giorgio, b. 1904 d. 1989
Active in New York, N.Y.
Collection size: 811 items (partially microfilmed on 3 reels)
Collection Summary: Biographical information; correspondence; photographs; exhibition catalogs and announcements; monograph; scrapbooks; sketchbook; clippings; three small palettes on linen.
REELS N68/60-N68/61: Biographical information; personal letters and postcards; business correspondence; a list of owners of Cavallon's paintings; exhibition catalogs and announcements; articles about Cavallon; several drawings with notes; a letter of explanation and drawing for an easel invented by Cavallon; photographs of his paintings and personal photos; and a scrapbook, containing mostly printed material. A portion of these papers were also filmed on Reel D359.
REEL D359: Postcards; a drawing of an easel that Cavallon invented with a letter of explanation; photographs of Cavallon including a tintype, 1920, and one taken by Evelyn Hofer, 1956, his family, and friends, including photographs of Ilya Bolotowsky, Carlo Holesch, Ibram Lassaw, Sylvia and Charles Pollock, and of Charles Hawthorne instructing an art class; magazine articles; and a scrapbook, containing clippings, photographs of art work, exhibition announcements and catalogs.
UNMICROFILMED: A sketchbook from Italy; letters and postcards received by Cavallon and his wife Linda Lindeberg; a notebook and notebooks; photographs of Cavallon and others; a photograph of Cavallon's work; exhibition catalogs and announcements; clippings; three scrapbooks; scattered writings; a drawing by Cavallon; and a small amount of Linda Lindeberg's (Cavallon's wife) papers and photographs.
Biographical/Historical Note: Painter; New York, N.Y.; d. December 22, 1989.
Reels N68/60-N68/61 and D359 were lent in 1968 for microfilming; a portion on reel D359 was subsequently donated July 1969 by Giorgio Cavallon. Additional unmicrofilmed material was donated 1980-1982 by Cavallon.
How to Use this Collection
- Microfilm reels N68-60 - N68-61 and D359 available at Archives of American Art offices and through interlibrary loan.
- Use of original papers requires an appointment and is limited to the Archives' Washington, D.C., Research Center. Microfilmed materials must be consulted on microfilm. Contact Reference Services for more information.
- For more information on using the Archives’ resources, see the FAQ or Ask Us.
Also in the Archives
- Oral history interview with Giorgio Cavallon, 1974 February 28
- Image and Media Gallery items from other collections related to Cavallon, Giorgio