Gertrude Kasle Gallery (Detroit, Mich.),
Collection size: 7.9 linear ft.
Collection Summary: The records of the Gertrude Kasle Gallery of Detroit measure 7.9 linear feet and date from 1949-1999, with the bulk of the records dating from 1964-1983. The collection documents the establishment and operations of this contemporary American art gallery and consists of artists files, business and administrative files, exhibition files, photographic materials, and interviews and lectures in the form of sound recordings.
Biographical/Historical Note: Gertrude Kasle Gallery (established 1960; closed 1976) was an art gallery in Detroit, Mich. Kasle, along with Joy Colby, established Kasle/Colby Art Consultants in 1976.
Donated 1976 and 1982 by Gertrude Kasle. An addition of 6 ft. was transferred in 2002 from the Cincinnati Art Museum via librarian Mona Chapin. The Museum had received the records in 1995 from Kasle.
How to Use this Collection
- Read the Finding Aid for this collection
- Portions of the collection are available on 35 mm microfilm reels 5003-5005 at Archives of American Art offices, and through interlibrary loan. Researchers should note that the arrangement of the collection as described in this finding aid does not reflect the order of the collection on microfilm.
- Use of original papers requires an appointment and is limited to the Archives' Washington, D.C., Research Center. Microfilmed materials must be consulted on microfilm. Contact Reference Services for more information.
- For more information on using the Archives’ resources, see the FAQ or Ask Us.