Tooker, George, b. 1920
Active in New York, N.Y.; Vt.
Collection size: 1.5 linear feet
Collection Summary: The papers of painter George Tooker measure 1.5 linear feet and date from circa 1930 to 1973. The papers document Tookers personal and professional life through biographical material, correspondence, project files, printed material, artwork and one sketchbook, and 209 photographs, including some taken by noted photographer George Platt Lynes.
Biographical/Historical Note: George Tooker (1920-2011) was a painter based in Hartland, Vermont and New York, New York.
George Tooker donated his papers to the Archives of American Art in 1973.
How to Use this Collection
- Read the Finding Aid for this collection
- Portions of the collection are available on 35 mm microfilm reels, 678-679 and 692, at the Archives of American Art offices and through interlibrary loan. Researchers should note that the arrangement of the collection as described in this finding aid does not reflect the order of the collection on microfilm due to processing.
- Use of original papers requires an appointment and is limited to the Archives' Washington, D.C., Research Center. Contact Reference Services for more information.
- For more information on using the Archives’ resources, see the FAQ or Ask Us.
Also in the Archives
- George Tooker interview, 1966
- Image and Media Gallery items from other collections related to Tooker, George