Barnard, George Grey, b. 1863 d. 1938
Active in New York, N.Y.; Bellefonte, Pa.
Collection size: 13.6 linear feet
Collection Summary: The papers of New York sculptor, collector, and dealer George Grey Barnard measure 13.2 linear feet and date from 1860 to 1969, with the bulk of the materials dating from 1880-1938. These papers document his life and work as an artist, as well as his activities as a collector and dealer of medieval art, through correspondence, collecting notebooks, diaries and daily journals, ephemera, inventories, business and financial records, exhibition catalogs, newspaper clippings, reference materials, publications, photographs, and a small number of sketches.
Biographical/Historical Note: George Grey Barnard (1863-1938) was an American sculptor, collector, and dealer, whose collection of medieval art formed the nucleus of the Cloisters, the branch of the Metropolitan Museum of Art dedicated to the art of the middle ages.
The bulk of the George Grey Barnard papers was transferred from the Smithsonian American Art Museum (formerly the National Collection of Fine Arts) in 1975 and 2003, where it had been given by the artist's son Monroe in 1970. In 1971, Monroe Barnard donated additional papers. In 1976, the Pennsylvania State University Archives donated 2.0 linear feet of papers.
Funding for the processing and digitization of this collection was provided by the Terra Foundation for American Art.
How to Use this Collection
- The bulk of the collection was digitized in 2012 and is available via the Archives of American Art's website. Selected financial records, photographs of works of art, some business records, and printed materials have not been scanned.
- Use of original papers requires an appointment and is limited to the Archives' Washington, D.C., Research Center. Contact Reference Services for more information.
- For more information on using the Archives’ resources, see the FAQ or Ask Us.
Also in the Archives
- George Grey Barnard letters to Mr. Van der Weyde, [ca. 1910-1921]
- George Grey Barnard selected papers, 1895-1941
- Photograph of Barnard's sculpture of Lincoln, [undated]