Church, Frederick S. (Frederick Stuart), b. 1842 d. 1924
Painter, Illustrator, Etcher
Active in New York, N.Y.
Collection size: 10 items.
Collection Summary: Letters, some illustrated, from Frederick Stuart Church to various people, and works of art including a sketch and etchings by Church.
Letters from Church are to Mr. Van Allen, 1898 Oct. 7, regarding a work of art by Church, that he suggested calling Easter Morning; three illustrated letters to Mike Gavin, 1905, in which Church describes himself as a bear and humourosly addresses one letter to Myrtle. Additional letters and works of art, undated, from Church include a note to an unknown recipent, possibly Victor Spark, regarding a female model; a letter to Mr. Putnam regarding Kenyon Cox; an illustrated letter to W.F. Price; a letter to Mr. Hogan regarding an etching that Church made for him; an illustrated note (unknown recipient) in which Church writes "This is a photo of a painting I gave to the Fund for relief of discharged employees of the Stock Exchange" with a photograph enclosed of the painting Mothers Return; and a signed sketch of a tiger by Church.
Biographical/Historical Note: Frederick Stuart Church (1842-1924) was a painter in New York, N.Y. Church worked in oil, watercolor, and etching and specialized in animals.
Note (Reel D8, fr.445) donated by Victor Spark; letters on reel D8 donated 1955-1962 by Charles E. Feinberg, a long time friend and active donor to AAA. The note and photo on reel 2802 donated 1966 by Cummer Gallery of Art, Jacksonville, Fla., who received it from "a lady in Jacksonville." The donor of the sketch on reel 2802 is unknown. Letter to Mr. Van Allen donated 1960 by the Flint Art Museum. Three letters to Michael Gavin donated 2012 by Ann Gavin Ffolliott, Michael Gavin's great-niece.
How to Use this Collection
- Microfilm reels D8, 2802, and 3480 available at Archives of American Art offices and through interlibrary loan.
- Use of original papers requires an appointment and is limited to the Archives' Washington, D.C., Research Center. Microfilmed materials must be consulted on microfilm. Contact Reference Services for more information.
- For more information on using the Archives’ resources, see the FAQ or Ask Us.
Also in the Archives
- Frederick Stuart Church letters and art work, 1893-1923
- Image and Media Gallery items from other collections related to Church, Frederick S. (Frederick Stuart)