Remington, Frederic, b. 1861 d. 1909
Painter, Sculptor, Printmaker, Illustrator
Active in Ridgefield, Conn.; New Rochelle, N.Y.
Collection size: ca. 320 items (on 3 partial microfilm reels)
Collection Summary: Correspondence, printed material, and writings.
REEL NOR 1: Correspondence, including letters and cards from Remington to his wife, Eva Adele Caten Remington, and with admirers and associates, including Edwin Austin Abbey, Albert J. Beveridge, Poultney Bigelow, Frederick Stuart Church, Powhatan Clark, Samuel L. Clemens, Royal Cortissoz, Homer Davenport, Richard H. Davis, Gen. George A.Forsyth, Childe Hassam, John Hay, A. Barton Hepburn, Arthur Hoeber, W. D. Howells, Carter P. Johnson, Rudyard Kipling, Daniel S. Lamont, Nelson A. Miles,W.L. Palmer, Howard Pyle, Julian Ralph, Theodore Roosevelt, Owen Wister, Gen. Leonard Wood, admirers and associates; and catalogs.
REEL 902: 11 brief letters from Remington to his friend Julian Ralph, and 1 letter from Theodore Roosevelt to Daniel W. Lord regarding Lord's apparent interest in New Mexico; a poem in Remington's hand; an autographed menu from a dinner of the Authors Club, New York City; and dedications in books written by Remington.
REEL 3470: A photocopy of a letter from Remington to "My Dear Colonel," March 21, 1903.
Biographical/Historical Note: Painter, sculptor, etcher, and illustrator New Rochelle, New York and Ridgefield, Connecticut.
Material on reel NOR 1 lent for microfilming by the Ogdenburg Public Library and Remington Memorial, 1956. Material on reel 902 lent for microfilming by Mr. & Mrs. Robert Benkert and Louis Fisher, 1974. Material on reel 3470 donated by Mrs. Miles Reber, 1981.
How to Use this Collection
- Microfilm reels NOR 1, 902, & 3470 Available at Archives of American Art offices and through interlibrary loan.
- Use of original papers requires an appointment and is limited to the Archives' Washington, D.C., Research Center. Microfilmed materials must be consulted on microfilm. Contact Reference Services for more information.
- For more information on using the Archives’ resources, see the FAQ or Ask Us.
Also in the Archives
- Frederic Remington letters, 1890-1891 and [undated]
- Frederic Remington letters, 1895-1908
- Image and Media Gallery items from other collections related to Remington, Frederic