O'Connor, Francis V. (Francis Valentine), b. 1937
Art historian, Poet
Active in New York, N.Y.
Collection size: 23.4 linear feet
Collection Summary: The papers of New York art historian Francis O'Connor measure 23.4 linear feet and date from 1920-2009. Found within the papers are artist and exhibition files, questionnaires, transcripts, writings, project files, and printed material that pertain to O'Connor's research and publications on the New Deal and the Federal Arts Project of the Works Progress Administration.
Biographical/Historical Note: New York art historian and poet Francis O'Connor (1937- ) is best known for his research and writings on the New Deal art programs of the Depression and the Roosevelt Administration.
The papers were donated by Francis O'Connor to the National Collection of Fine Arts, now the Smithsonian American Art Museum, which subsequently transferred the papers, with O'Connor's permission, to the Archives of American Art in 1974. In 2010, O'Connor donated an additional 15.8 linear feet of papers to the Archives.
Funding for the processing of this collection was provided by the Terra Foundation for American Art.
How to Use this Collection
- Read the Finding Aid for this collection
- About one-third of the collection (the "NCFA Library") is available on 35 mm microfilm reels 1084-1091 at the Archives of American Art offices, and through interlibrary loan. Researchers should note that the arrangement of the papers as described in this finding aid does not reflect the order of the collection on microfilm due to reprocessing.
- Artists' questionnaires (Reels 1087-1089 and unflimed): Authorization to publish, quote, or reproduce, including photocopying, must be obtained from: the individual artist.
Francis V. O'Connor, has retained any intellectual property rights, including copyright, that he may posess. The collection is subject to all copyright laws.
- Use of original papers requires an appointment and is limited to the Archives' Washington, D.C. Research Center. Use of archival audiovisual recordings and electronic media with no duplicate access copy requires advance notice. Contact Reference Services for more information.
- For more information on using the Archives’ resources, see the FAQ or Ask Us.
Also in the Archives
- Image and Media Gallery items from other collections related to O'Connor, Francis V. (Francis Valentine)