Magafan, Ethel, b. 1916 d. 1993
Active in Woodstock, N.Y.
Collection size: 54 items (on 2 microfilm reels)
Collection Summary: Photographs and printed materials relating to Magafan's painting career.
Reel 3134: Photograph, ca. 1950, of Ethel and Jenne Magafan taken by Konrad Cramer; and printed material, 1952-1982, including exhibition catalogs, announcements, a poster, and a newsletter.
Reel NDA 14: Invitations and notifications of various competitions for the Section of Fine Arts, included are photographs, specifications of areas to be decorated, and correspondence particularly from Edward Rowan.
Biographical/Historical Note: Ethel Magafan (1915 or 6-1993) was a mural and landscape painter from Colorado. Painted murals for the WPA. Jenne Magafan was her twin sister.
Material on reel NDA 14 lent for microfilming 1964, material on reel 3134 donated 1982 all by Ethel Magafan.
How to Use this Collection
- Microfilm reels 3134 & NDA 14 available at Archives of American Art offices and through interlibrary loan.
- Use of original papers requires an appointment and is limited to the Archives' Washington, D.C., Research Center. Microfilmed materials must be consulted on microfilm. Contact Reference Services for more information.
- For more information on using the Archives’ resources, see the FAQ or Ask Us.
Also in the Archives
- Oral history interview with Ethel Magafan, 1964 Nov. 5
- Image and Media Gallery items from other collections related to Magafan, Ethel