Panofsky, Erwin, b. 1892 d. 1968
Active in Princeton, N.J.
Collection size: 8 items (microfilmed on one reel)
Collection Summary: Letters from Erwin Panofsky to art historians Wolfgang Stechow (1930-1931) and Lili Fröhlich-Bum (1931); and to art librarian at the Brooklyn Museum, William B. Walker (1960). The letters to Stechow were written as Stechow was preparing a review of Panofsky's book, Hercules am Scheidewege und andere anitike Bildstoffe inder neueren Kunst, and provide additional information not found in the book itself.
Biographical/Historical Note: Art historian; Princeton, New Jersey.
Donated 1994 by Irving Lavin who found the letters in William Stechow's copy of Hercules am Scheidewege which he received from Stechow's widow.
How to Use this Collection
- Microfilm reel 5136 (frames 812-824) available at Archives of American Art offices and through interlibrary loan.
- Use of original papers requires an appointment and is limited to the Archives' Washington, D.C., Research Center. Microfilmed materials must be consulted on microfilm. Contact Reference Services for more information.
- For more information on using the Archives’ resources, see the FAQ or Ask Us.
Also in the Archives
- Erwin Panofsky papers, 1904-1990, bulk, 1920-1968
- Image and Media Gallery items from other collections related to Panofsky, Erwin