Schmid, Elsa, b. 1897 d. 1970
Painter, Sculptor, Mosaicist
Active in Rye, N.Y.
Collection size: 1.1 linear feet (partially microfilmed on 1 reel)
Collection Summary: Personal and professional correspondence, files on artists, photographs, works of art, notes and lecture material, and printed material relating to Elsa Schmid's career as a mosaic artist.
Correspondents include Henry Varnum Poor, Max Weber, Boris Anrep, Helen Chase, Edward Waldo Forbes, Warren Wheelock, Abraham Walkowitz, Alfred H. Barr, Georgia O'Keeffe, Barbara Morgan and Josef Albers. Files are on artists Van Wyck Brooks, Father Martin D'Arcy, John Dewey, and Dikran Kelekian.
Photographs are of Schmid's mosaics. Works of art include drawings of mosaics. Printed materials includes newspaper clippings, magazine articles and catalogs.
Biographical/Historical Note: Mosaicist, painter, sculptor; Rye, N.Y. Married to art dealer J. B. Neumann.
Donated 1974 by Peter Neumann, Schmid's son. Two additional mosaic transpsarencies of Abraham Lincoln received in 2010 as a transfer from the Musem of American Art, Smithsonian Institution.
How to Use this Collection
- Microfilm reel 953 available at Archives of American Art offices and through interlibrary loan.
- Use of original papers requires an appointment and is limited to the Archives' Washington, D.C., Research Center. Microfilmed materials must be consulted on microfilm. Contact Reference Services for more information.
- For more information on using the Archives’ resources, see the FAQ or Ask Us.
Also in the Archives
- Oral history interview with Elsa Schmid, 1968 August 1
- Image and Media Gallery items from other collections related to Schmid, Elsa