Vedder, Elihu, b. 1836 d. 1923
Painter, Muralist, Sculptor, Author, Illustrator
Active in New York, N.Y.; Rome, Italy
The papers of Elihu Vedder in the Archives of American Art were digitized from 17 reels of microfilm. Photographs from Series 7 have been digitized from originals. The bulk of the papers have been scanned, totaling 21,791 images.
Funding for the processing and digitization of this collection was provided by the Terra Foundation for American Art
Collection size: 9.0 linear ft.
Collection Summary: The Elihu Vedder papers measure approximately 9 linear feet and date from 1804 to 1969, with the bulk of the material dating from 1840 to 1923. The collection documents the life and work of the painter and illustrator, who was perhaps best known for his illustrations of the 1884 edition of "The Rubaiyat of Omar Khayyam." Papers include correspondence, writings, diaires, photographs, a limited number of drawings, books and printed material, legal and financial papers, and scattered personal and family papers.
Biographical/Historical Note: Painter, muralist, sculptor, illustrator, writer; Rome and the Isle of Capri, Italy. b. 1836, New York, N.Y.; d. Jan. 29, 1923, at the age of 87; Symbolist painter.
Material on reels 515-529 and 671 donated by Lawrence Fleischman and Harold Love, 1962 through 1964. Books, Doubts and Other Things and Miscellaneous Moods donated by Irving Burton, 1964 and 1977. Material on reel 2323 donated by Mrs. John Breck, 1981.
Funding for the processing and digitization of this collection was provided by the Terra Foundation for American Art.
How to Use this Collection
- Read the Finding Aid for this digitized collection
- The microfilm of this collection was digitized in 2007 and original photographs were digitized in 2009. Digitized materials are available via the Archives of American Art website.
- Use of original papers requires an appointment and is limited to the Archives' Washington, D.C., Research Center. Contact Reference Services for more information.
- For more information on using the Archives’ resources, see the FAQ or Ask Us.
Also in the Archives
- Elihu Vedder letters, 1870-1880 and [undated]
- Image Gallery items from other collections related to Vedder, Elihu
Related MaterialsFour originals drawings (filmed on Reel 671: 608-610 and 612) were returned to the donor and are not described in the Container Listing.
Related material found in the Archives of American Art includes 3 letters written by Elihu Vedder that comprise a small collection donated by Charles E. Feinberg.