Dwan Gallery (Los Angeles, Calif. and New York, N.Y.) records, 1959-1971

Dwan Gallery (New York, N.Y.)
Art gallery
New York, N.Y.

Collection size: 2.2 linear ft.

Collection Summary: The Dwan Gallery records consist primarily of files of exhibitions curated by Virginia Dwan at Dwan Galleries in Los Angeles (1959-1967) and New York (1965-1971). Found within this nearly comprehensive set of exhibition files are lists of exhibited works, price lists, photographs, posters, slides or color transparencies of installations, invitations, full-size posters, magazine and newspaper clippings, and exhibition catalogs.

Biographical/Historical Note: In 1959, Virginia Dwan opened her first gallery in the Westwood Village neighborhood of Los Angeles, Calif. In 1965, Virginia Dwan moved to New York City and founded an east coast branch of the Dwan Gallery. Exhibitions at the Dwan Gallery showed Abstract Expressionist artists, Nouveaux Realistes artists, Land, and Minimilist artists. Dwan recognized that many of her shows were not considered salable but continued to show the avant-garde. The Dwan Gallery Los Angeles closed in mid-1967 but the New York branch remained open until 1971.

Donated 1989 and 1996 by Virginia Dwan.

How to Use this Collection

Related Materials

Separated materials: Dwan Gallery exhibition catalogs that were donated to the Archives in 1989 were transfered to the SAAM Library.
Also found within the Archives of American Art is an interview with Virginia Dwan conducted March 21 through June 1, 1984 by Charles Stuckey.
Bard College's Center for Curatorial Studies and Art in Contemporary Culture holds a similar collection of Dwan Gallery materials at the Library and Archive, consisting of eight binders of materials relating to the exhibitions held at the Dwan Gallery - Los Angeles from 1959-1967 and the Dwan Gallery - New York from 1965-1971. The binders contain press releases, exhibition checklists, black and white 8 X 10 photographs, announcements, newspaper and magazine reviews, and other ephemera.