Dehner, Dorothy, b. 1901 d. 1994
Painter, Sculptor, Printmaker
Active in New York, N.Y.
Collection size: 4.4 linear feet
Collection Summary: Papers include extensive correspondence, business and financial papers, writings, interviews, printed material, photographs, student papers, one item of art work, and scattered personal papers and material relating to her first husband sculptor David Smith.
Biographical/Historical Note: Dorothy Dehner (1901-1994) was a sculptor from New York, N.Y. Dehner was born in Cleveland, Ohio. She married sculptor David Smith in 1927.
The Dorothy Dehner papers were donated 1967-1987 in increments by Dorothy Dehner. She also lent materials for microfilming between 1967 and 1977, some of which was subsequently donated.
How to Use this Collection
- Read the Finding Aid for this collection
- Microfilm reels D298-D298A, 1269, 1372 available for use at Archives of American Art offices and through interlibrary loan.
- Use of original papers requires an appointment and is limited to the Archives' Washington, D.C., Research Center. Contact Reference Services for more information.
- For more information on using the Archives’ resources, see the FAQ or Ask Us.
Also in the Archives
- Oral history interviews with Dorothy Dehner, 1965 Oct.-1966 Dec
- Image and Media Gallery items from other collections related to Dehner, Dorothy