The Jervis McEntee Diaries - October 2, 1885

Diary Entry:

Friday, Oct 2, 1885 Dull, profitless days of brooding over worries and anxieties. The morning dawned grey and with promise of rain which we need. Mr. Bray from whom I received a note last evening, the second of the new special delivery, came for me at half past 9 to go up to Kingston to testify in his suit concerning the Photo-gravures. We went to the Court House where Judge Kenyon was presiding over a dog trial in which one of the attorneys was haranguing the jury. Then I went over to Barlydts studio to examine the Photo-gravures. Barlydt is an artist an awfully poor one. He showed me his sketches, pretty feeble ones and his pictures equally poor. He teaches and I dare say makes a living as best he can. Finally about noon Lounsbery and Bray came to say the case was adjourned until December and we came home. After dinner I packed Marys annual preserves and cherry bounce which was no small job, hunting up boxes and trying to get them all in. Then I picked the balance of the Virgalieu pears, only a few on the small trees and sat down to "Romola" which I have commenced. My father did not come down stairs until 3 oclock. We were sitting in the parlor by a little fire when Mr. Lounsberys daughter and a Miss Hornbeck called. She is one of the trained nurses and seems a bright woman. They staid until nearly tea time. After my father retired Sara and I sat in the parlor and talked of our troubles and anxieties and upon the Hillsboro affair, when the door opened and Calvert walked in having come up on the Powell. He told us that Gertrude Tomkins walked in their apartment while they were at breakfast. She cried and seemed a good deal affected but they were glad to see her and gave her a cordial welcome. Calvert went to his office soon after and so he could tell us but little more. It is raining a little now as I am about to retire and I hope we will have a rainy night and a rainy day tomorrow.

< Previous Entry | Next Entry >