The Jervis McEntee Diaries - March 12, 1885

Diary Entry:

Thursday, Mar 12, 1885 A seedy, cheeky man in check pantaloons and an overcoat trimmed with shabby fur called to get me to allow him to write me up at a "dime a word" as he put it. What an enterprise! fitted for only just such fellows. His imprudence and assurance stamped him as the last man I would care to have write about me. I remember he came once before and I gave him the cold shoulder, but such chaps are not easily abashed or discouraged. Fuller came and bought my picture of the Woods for $1000 conditionally. If the bill of paper hanging is to be applied. If he pays me the cash he is to have it for $800 and I am to frame it. He hopes to induce Warren to get something from me. He is to pay me $400 or $500 down and the balance later, but I am ready to accept any terms. He is very kind and friendly and really likes my pictures. He asked me to let him send down his two pictures, the "Yellow Woods" and the "Clearing Up" for some little improvements he suggests. I told him I would cheerfully do any thing I thought would improve them. They came this afternoon. I am surprised to see what a fine picture the "Clearing Up" is. The other looks as it always did to me but the Clearing looks much better. My two pictures went to the Academy today "Winter Sundown" and "Christmas Eve" looking down on the town from my window at home. I feel a great relief at having made this sale for it makes an immense difference with me. Called on Miss Teale and Miss Monahan. Julia Dillon told me Miss Teale was delighted that I was going to take pupils at my house and that she wanted to be one of them. She said nothing to me about it however and after I told her of my plan said nothing to indicate she would like to avail herself of the opportunity. I fear it is not going to be easy to get pupils and I hope I can get along without them. From there I went to Eastman Johnsons but there was no one at home. Then to call on Mrs. Stedman but there was no one at home there except Arthur. The wind was from the North and it had grown very cold and it was any thing but pleasant to be in the streets. I went to the club and after a while Calvert walked over to the Studio building with me but did not come in.

< Previous Entry | Next Entry >