The Jervis McEntee Diaries - November 6, 1883

Diary Entry:

Tuesday, Nov 6, 1883 The day dawned most pleasantly although about noon the clouds gathered threatening showers but were soon dispelled. It being election day my father and I drove down and voted. Then we went to the ferry and waited for the boat from the down train which fortunately brought Gussie and Joe. Downing had gone over the river to meet them and they all rode up to the house while I went to see Dr Magee. When I got home my dear mother was in her coffin. Through all this long waiting there was no change. It seemed almost as though she patiently awaited the coming of her children. We carried her out into the hall and I placed upon her coffin the beautiful vines and autumn leaves Ned Tomkins sent. The effect was most satisfactory. Dear Mother. What a picture she was as she lay there. I went again and again to look at her. When Calvert came he was much struck with the beauty of her surroundings and the sweetness of her silent face. The funeral was at two oclock and Mr. Magee officiated. He read the 103rd Psalm, after a prayer then Proverbs 31st from the 10th verse at my request, then a hymn which Mary had often read to my mother. He then made his address which was most tender and sympathetic and judicious. Afterwards he read Bryants hymn, "Deem not that they are blest alone / Whose lives a peaceful tenor keep" After the exercises he announced that the burial would be private. Every one of the large concourse of people went to look upon my mothers face and all were surprised at her youthful and lovely appearance. Major Wilkinson and Julia came from Pokeepsie and to our great satisfaction and surprise James Gifford from Hudson bringing his father, old Mr. Gifford who walked all the way up the hill and over to the cemetery. Gustavus Swan and Mariette came from N. Y. returning in the afternoon. After the audience had gone Girard and I, Tom and Henry and Downing and John McEntee carried my mother to the cemetery on the same bier and over the same route that dear Gertrude was carried. The services at the grave were very brief and the friends went home while John McEntee, Girard and I staid until the grave was closed and I placed the vines and flowers over it. Bowyer came up from N. Y. and returned by the evening train. Every thing was done as we could have wished and as I know my dear mother would have approved. I had a most encouraging letter from Weir and an affectionate and sympathetic note from Mary Gifford.

< Previous Entry | Next Entry >