Smith, David, b. 1906 d. 1965
Painter, Muralist, Sculptor, Printmaker, Engraver
Active in New York, N.Y.
Collection size: 4 items (on partial microfilm reel)
Collection Summary: Writings; printed material; and a photograph of Smith.
FRAMES 58-89: An exhibition catalog, MEDALS FOR DISHONOR, for an exhibition of Smith's antiwar and violence medals and writings at the Willard Gallery, November, 1940, including a forward by authors William Blake and Christina Stead; a typescript of Smith's essay, "Modern Sculpture and Society"; and a copy of Smith's essay, edited, as it appeared in Francis V. O'Connor's book, ART FOR THE MILLIONS.
FRAMES 89-96: A 1942 press photograph of Smith at work on a marble sculpture; and a note written by Dorothy Dehner explaining the photograph.
Biographical/Historical Note: Sculptor; Bolton Landing, N.Y. Smith's Medals for Dishonor, completed in 1940, were explicit statements of protest against the horrors of war and violence. Smith befriended the writers, Williams Blake and his wife Christina Stead, after having read and been influenced by Blake's novel, THE PAINTER AND THE LADY. Dorothy Dehner, painter and sculptor, was Smith's first wife. They were married in 1927 and divorced in 1952. ART FOR THE MILLIONS, edited by Francis V. O'Connor, was originally intended to be published by the Federal Art Project but went unfinished. O'Connor took up the project and completed it in 1972.
Material on frames 54-89 provenance unknown. Material on frames 89-96 donated by Katherine Kuh, art critic, consultant, and friend of Dorothy Dehner.
How to Use this Collection
- Microfilm reel 3472 available for use at Archives of American Art offices and through interlibrary loan.
- Use of original papers requires an appointment and is limited to the Archives' Washington, D.C., Research Center. Microfilmed materials must be consulted on microfilm. Contact Reference Services for more information.
- For more information on using the Archives’ resources, see the FAQ or Ask Us.
Also in the Archives
- David Smith interview, 1964 Oct. 25
- David Smith papers, 1926-1965
- David Smith sketchbook, 1954-1969
- Image and Media Gallery items from other collections related to Smith, David