Bourdon, David, b. 1934
Active in New York, N.Y.
Collection size: 34.0 linear ft.
Collection Summary: The papers of art critic David Bourdon consist of research materials he assembled in writing books, articles, and essays on artists, and exhibition catalogs for artists including Christo (1972), Alexander Calder (1980), Andy Warhol (1989), and Carl Andre (1978). Included are letters, clippings, reviews, exhibition catalogs, monographs, art periodicals, and selected writings by Bourdon.
Art by Location includes files on America, Asia, Austria, Belgium, Cambodia, England, France, Germany, Italian, Latin America, Russia, Spain, and Switzerland. Art by Period includes files on Ancient Art, Medieval Art, Renaissance Art, and 17th and 18th Century art. Art by Style consists of Abstract Art and Abstract Expressionism, Art Deco, Dada/Surrealism, Pop Art, and Realism/Figurative Art.
Artists' files consist of Mark Alsterlind, Carl Andre, Joseph Beuys, Diane Burko, Cesar, Christo, Nancy Graves, Gary Hume, Bryan Hunt, Ray Johnson, Jasper Johns, Roy Lichtenstein, Malcolm Liepke, Carlo Maria Marinani, Bruce Nauman, Claes Oldenburg, Philip Pearlstein, Pablo Picasso, Jackson Pollock, Robert Rauschenberg, John Ruskin, and Andy Warhol.
Among the subject file headings are Animals, Art prices, Art shows, Art sociology, Art themes, Books, Collectors, Crafts, Critics, Dancers, Dealers and galleries, Fakes and Forgeries, Films, Happenings, Horses, Museums, Photography, Tribal art and Video.
Biographical/Historical Note: Art critic; New York, N.Y. David Bourdon was born in 1934 in Glendale, California. He received the B.S. degree in 1961 from Columbia University. From 1964 to 1966, and from 1974 to 1977, he served as art critic for the Village Voice. He was Assistant Editor of Life magazine in New York from 1966 to 1971 and Associate Editor of the Smithsonian Magazine from 1972 to 1974. He became the art critic for Vogue magazine in 1978, and held the post for three years, becoming Senior Features editor there in 1983. He died in New York in 1998.
Donated 1998 by Les Levine, executor of the David Bourdon estate.