Thompson, Daniel V. (Daniel Varney), b. 1902 d. 1980
Art historian, Engineer, Conservator
Active in London, England
Collection size: 10.1 linear feet
Collection Summary: The papers of art conservator and historian, professor, engineer, and writer Daniel Varney Thompson (1902-1980) are dated 1848-1979, with the bulk of the material dated 1923-1979. The collection measures 9.6 linear feet and consists of biographical material, correspondence, subject files, writings, artwork, printed material, and photographs.
Biographical/Historical Note: Daniel Varney Thompson (1902-1980) was an art historian, conservator, chemist, author, and engineer. Studied techniques of medieval, Renaissance painting. Professor at Courtald Institute, London, 1938-1947.
The Daniel Varney Thompson papers were donated to the Archives of American Art in increments between 1974-1981 by Mr. Thompson and his estate.
How to Use this Collection
- Read the Finding Aid for this collection
- Use of original papers requires an appointment and is limited to the Archives' Washington, D.C., Research Center. Contact Reference Services for more information.
- For more information on using the Archives’ resources, see the FAQ or Ask Us.
Also in the Archives
- Daniel Varney Thompson letters to Edith Simonds Moore, 1925-1961
- Oral history interview with Daniel Varney Thompson, 1974 September 25-1976 November 2
- Image and Media Gallery items from other collections related to Thompson, Daniel V. (Daniel Varney)