Dallin, Cyrus E. (Cyrus Edwin),
Collection size: 2.0 linear ft. (microfilmed on 8 reels)
Collection Summary: Correspondence; sketchbook; journal; photographs; research files; typescripts; and clippings.
REEL 141: Letters to Dallin from Augustus St. Gaudens, John Singer Sargent, Vesper George and other artists, and from family and friends. Also included are two clippings, one containing a poem written by Dallin about the delayed contract for his statue of Paul Revere in Boston.
REEL 178: Business correspondence and contracts; a sketchbook; 13 photographs of Dallin and his work; a 132 page journal by his wife with brief entries; a list of Dallin's works; and a typescript of a biography of Dallin by Vittoria Collorina Dallin (Mrs. Cyrus E.).
REELS 179-184: Business and personal correspondence; some manuscripts, lectures and poems by Dallin and material relating to a copyright lawsuit filed by Dallin; photographic research files, 1894-1961, (reels 182-184), contain photographs of Dallin's sculpture, related clippings and some correspondence; a typescript of "A Biographical Sketch" of Dallin by Stillman Powers; and exhibition catalogs and clippings.
Biographical/Historical Note: Sculptor; Arlington Heights, Massachusetts.
Material on reel lent 1972 for microfilming by Mrs. Edwin B. Dallin via her grandaughter Mrs. J. K. McCabe, Jr. Material on reel 178 lent 1971 for microfilming by Dallin's son Lawrence Dallin. Material on reels 179-184 lent 1971 for microfilming by the Robbins Memorial Library, who had received it from the Dallin family.
How to Use this Collection
- Microfilm reels 141, 178 and 179-184 available at Archives of American Art offices and through interlibrary loan.
- The Archives of American art does not own the original papers. Use is limited to the microfilm copy.
- For more information on using the Archives’ resources, see the FAQ or Ask Us.
Also in the Archives
- Chapu and the Prix de Rome / Cyrus E. Dallin, [ca.1940]
- Cyrus Dallin scrapbook, 1893-1896
- Image Gallery items from other collections related to Dallin, Cyrus E. (Cyrus Edwin)