Greenberg, Clement, b. 1909 d. 1994
Active in New York, N.Y.
Collection size: 5 items.
Collection Summary: Letters to Cast from Clement Greenberg consists of three postcards and two letters between 1981 and 1987. The letters, though brief, reveal Greenberg's characteristic voice and report on the critic's later life as an art celebrity, in which he ruminates on being constantly on the go from lectures to receiving awards. Greenberg also mentions Jules Olitski, Edward Fry, Peter Fuller, and Sydney Freedberg.
Biographical/Historical Note: Greenberg, was an art critic; Cast, a professor of art history; Bryn Mawr College, Bryn Mawr, Penn.
Donated 2000 by David Cast.
How to Use this Collection
- Use of original papers requires an appointment and is limited to the Archives' Washington, D.C., Research Center. Contact Reference Services for more information.
- For more information on using the Archives’ resources, see the FAQ or Ask Us.
Also in the Archives
- Clement Greenberg papers, 1937-1983
- Sound track narration for Museum without walls: Cubism, [ca. 1971]
- Image and Media Gallery items from other collections related to Greenberg, Clement