Dale, Chester, b. 1883 d. 1962
Active in New York, N.Y.
Collection size: 0.2 linear feet
Collection Summary: Correspondence, a photograph, and invoices relating to Chester Dale's relationship with George Bellows and Dale's interest in Bellows' works of art.
Correspondence includes twelve letters between George Bellows and Chester Dale regarding Dales patronage of Bellows and personal matters, 1919-1929. Also included is correspondence between Chester Dale and Marie Sterner, Alaric Simson, and W. Martin Griffith regarding works by Bellows, 1924-1930. Additional letters are from James Rosenberg and Julian Bowes to Dale pertaining to Bowes portrait sculpture of Bellows, 1927. A photograph of the sculpture is included with the letters.
Seven invoices are from H.V. Allison and Sons to Chester Dale for purchases of works by Bellows, 1944-1956, and an invoice from C.W. Kraushaar Galleries to Dale for a Bellows lithograph, 1929.
Biographical/Historical Note: Chester Dale (1883-1962) was an art collector in New York, N.Y. Dale collected 19th and 20th century art works.
Donated 2010 by Martha J. Fleischman, Archives of American Art trustee and benefactor, who purchased the collection at auction.
How to Use this Collection
- Use of original papers requires an appointment and is limited to the Archives' Washington, D.C., Research Center. Contact Reference Services for more information.
- For more information on using the Archives’ resources, see the FAQ or Ask Us.
Also in the Archives
- Chester Dale eulogy;, 1962 Dec. 17
- Chester Dale papers, 1897-1971, (bulk 1950-1968)
- Image and Media Gallery items from other collections related to Dale, Chester