Peale, Charles Willson, b. 1741 d. 1827
Engraver, Portrait painter
Active in Philadelphia, Pa.
Collection size: 1.0 linear ft. (on 3 partial microfilm reel)
Collection Summary: Diaries and an exhibition announcement.
REEL 3899: 26 volumes of diaries including daily entries relating to family, business, travels, sittings, Peale's museum and other topics.
REEL D9: A handwritten announcement for the exhibition of Peale's "Christ at Bethesda," March 20, 1821.
REEL N86/20: A diary kept in Philadelphia and Annapolis, May 30, 1788- May 5, 1789. Peale writes about working on his drawing machine "for taking perspective views"; about people sitting for portraits; techniques in painting repairing pictures; travel conditions between Philadelphia and Annapolis; the operation of his Philadelphia museum; recipes for preserving birds and animals; business and travel expenses; experiment in making bifocals; social activities and acquaintances.
Biographical/Historical Note: Painter, engraver, naturalist; Philadelphia, Pa.
Microfilm of 26 diaries (reel 3899) purchased in 1987 from the American Philosophical Society as part of AAA's Philadelphia Arts Documentation Project. Material on reel D9 donated 1955-1962 by Charles E. Feinberg, an active donor and friend of AAA. Material on reel N68/20 lent for microfilming 1968 by Fordham University Library.
How to Use this Collection
- Microfilm reel 3899 available at Archives of American Art offices, through interlibrary loan and at the American Philosophical Society.
microfilm reels D9 and N68/20 available for use at Archives of American Art offices and through interlibrary loan.
- Use of original papers requires an appointment and is limited to the Archives' Washington, D.C., Research Center. Microfilmed materials must be consulted on microfilm. Contact Reference Services for more information.
- For more information on using the Archives’ resources, see the FAQ or Ask Us.
Also in the Archives
- Letter to Benjamin Franklin, [ca. 1780]
- Selected papers from the Peale-Sellers collection, [ca. 1767-1904]
- Image and Media Gallery items from other collections related to Peale, Charles Willson