Charles Scribner's Sons,
New York, N.Y.
This site provides access to the records of the Charles Scribner's Sons Art Reference Department in the Archives of American Art that were digitized in 2009. The papers have been scanned in their entirety, and total 5,259 images.
Funding for the digitization of this collection was provided by the Terra Foundation for American Art.
Collection size: 7.0 linear ft.
Collection Summary: The incomplete records of the Charles Scribner's Sons Art Reference Department measure 7.0 linear feet and date from 1839 to 1962, and include original art works, photographs, scattered letters, and miscellaneous printed material reflecting the portraiture and other illustration work completed in support of the wide range of books, magazines and publications by Charles Scribner's Sons over the company's long history.
Biographical/Historical Note: Charles Scribner (1821-1871) was a partner in the publishing firm of Baker & Scribner, 1846-1871, and carried on alone after Baker's death in 1850. Scribner formed Scribner & Welford in 1857. Charles Scribner's Sons was established in 1870, the same year SCRIBNER'S MONTHLY began. His son Charles, 1854-1930, became president of the company in 1875. He began SCRIBNER'S MAGAZINE in 1887. It ceased publication in 1930. His son Charles, 1890-1952, became company president in 1932.
Donated 1957-1958 by Charles Scribner's Sons Art Department.
How to Use this Collection
- Read the Finding Aid for this digitized collection
- The collection was digitized in 2010 and is available via the Archives of American Art's website.
- Use of original papers requires an appointment and is limited to the Archives' Washington, D.C., Research Center. Contact Reference Services for more information.
- For more information on using the Archives’ resources, see the FAQ or Ask Us.