Hart, Charles Henry, b. 1847 d. 1918
Art historian, Author
Active in Philadelphia, Pa.
Collection size: 6.1 linear ft.
Collection Summary: The papers of Philadelphia art historian and writer Charles Henry Hart date from 1774-1930, bulk 1888-1918, and measure 6.1 linear feet. Found within the papers are correspondence, subject files, scattered personal business records, a file of images of art work, notes and writings, and printed material. The subject files include letters from art historians, art collectors, dealers, and gallery owners.
Biographical/Historical Note: Charles Henry Hart Art (1847-1918) was a historian, lawyer, writer, and director, Pennsylvania Academy of the Fine Arts, 1882-1904. He published widely on the subject of eighteenth and nineteenth-century portraiture in the United States.
The Charles Henry Hart papers were donated anonymously in 1971.
How to Use this Collection
- Read the Finding Aid for this collection
- Use of original papers requires an appointment and is limited to the Archives' Washington, D.C., Research Center. Microfilmed materials must be consulted on microfilm. Contact Reference Services for more information.
- For more information on using the Archives’ resources, see the FAQ or Ask Us.
Also in the Archives
- Charles Henry Hart autograph collection, 1731-1918
- Charles Henry Hart letters from the New York Public Library, 1889-1893
- Image and Media Gallery items from other collections related to Hart, Charles Henry
Related MaterialsAlso found in the Archives of American Art are 2 volumes of an autograph collection compiled by Charles Henry Hart.
The Archives also has a collection of correspondence between Charles and Clarence W. Bowen loaned by the New York Public Library for microfilming on reels N10-N11. The correspondence concerns Hart's activities on the planning committee of the Centennial of George Washington's Inauguration, New York City, 1889; and Hart's chairmanship of the Committee on Retrospective Art for the World's Columbian Exposition in Chicago, 1893.
Additional Charles Henry Hart papers are also available at the Winterthur Library in Delaware.