Hart, Charles Henry, b. 1847 d. 1918
Art historian, Author
Active in Philadelphia, Pa.
Collection size: 226 items
Collection Summary: The Charles Henry Hart autograph collection dates from 1731-1917 and consists of 226 letters, portrait prints, and other documents signed by American artists.
Biographical/Historical Note: Charles Henry Hart (1847-1918) was a historian, lawyer, writer, and director, Pennsylvania Academy of the Fine Arts, 1882-1904. Widely, he published on the subject of 18th and 19th century portraiture in the United States.
The Charles Henry Hart autograph collection was donated to the Archives of American Art in 1954 as an anonymous gift. It is assumed that Hart assembled the letters. Original collation was two letterbooks entitled "The History of Art in America as Tolk in a Remarkable Collection of Autograph Letters and Documents of Celebrated American Artists of the Eighteenth, Nineteenth, and Twentieth Century."
Funding for the processing of this collection was provided by the Terra Foundation for American Art.
How to Use this Collection
- Read the Finding Aid for this collection
- The collection is available on microfilm reel D5, available at Archives of American Art offices and for interlibrary loan.
- Use of original papers requires an appointment and is limited to the Archives' Washington, D.C., Research Center. Contact Reference Services for more information.
- For more information on using the Archives’ resources, see the FAQ or Ask Us.
Also in the Archives
- Charles Henry Hart letters from the New York Public Library, 1889-1893
- Charles Henry Hart papers, 1774-1930, bulk 1888-1918
- Image and Media Gallery items from other collections related to Hart, Charles Henry