Charles Campbell Gallery (San Francisco, Calif.),
est. 1972 - 2008
San Francisco, Calif.
Collection size: 17.6 linear feet
Collection Summary: The records of the Charles Campbell Gallery in San Francisco date from 1960 to 2001 and measure 17.6 linear feet. The records include business correspondence with galleries, curators, trusts, and individual buyers and sellers; business records consisting of administrative files, business notebooks, and financial material; artist and exhibition files; and Charles Campbell's related personal files that include correspondence, catalogs, newsletters, and clippings about jazz, and photos and travel. Substantial artist files exist for Nathan Oliveira, which contain original artwork and photos of the artist, Peter Allegaert, Gordon Cook, Charles Griffin Farr, Morris Graves, Robert Harvey, Geer Morton, Fred Reichman,Jean Rustin, Stephani Sanchez, and Wayne Thiebaud, among others.
Biographical/Historical Note: The Charles Campbell Gallery was established by Charles Campbell in 1972 in North Beach, San Francisco, following his ownership of The Louvre, a frame shop that he established in 1947.
Charles Campbell donated the Charles Campbell Gallery records in 2002.