Abbey, Edwin Austin, b. 1852 d. 1911
Painter, Muralist, Illustrator
Active in New York, N.Y.; London, England
Collection size: 1 drawing : pencil, pen and ink on paper ; 19 x 11.5 cm., on sheet 28 x 20.1 cm.
Collection Summary: Pen and ink over preliminary drawing in pencil of a cavalier, signed and dated lower right: E.A. Abbey, 1890.
Biographical/Historical Note: Painter, illustrator, muralist. Studied at PAFA. Well known for his illustrations for Shakespeare's works and Herrick's poems. Executed murals at the Boston Public Library and the State Capitol Building at Harrisburg, Pennsylvania.
Donated 1963-1964 by Julius H. Weitzer, who received it with other papers of August De Forest, a collection of art reference materials accumulated by De Forest from Charles Henry Hart and other sources.
How to Use this Collection
- Microfilm reel 2786, frame 26 available at Archives of American Art offices and through interlibrary loan.
- Use of original papers requires an appointment and is limited to the Archives' Washington, D.C., Research Center. Microfilmed materials must be consulted on microfilm. Contact Reference Services for more information.
- For more information on using the Archives’ resources, see the FAQ or Ask Us.
Also in the Archives
- Edwin Austin Abbey letters, 1874-[ca. 1887]
- Image and Media Gallery items from other collections related to Abbey, Edwin Austin