Carus Gallery (New York, N.Y.),
New York, N.Y.
Collection size: 3.2 linear ft.
Collection Summary: Primarily business records (1971-1996), business and personal correspondence, art inventory checklists, printed material, photographs and slides.
Biographical/Historical Note: Art gallery; New York, N.Y.; Est. 1968. Closed 2002. The Carus Gallery was founded by Dorothea Carus Isserstedt (1914-2002). The gallerys primary interest was in European Graphic Arts, specifically German Expressionism, and Russian Constructivism. The gallery exhibited works by Alexander Archipenko, Ernst Barlach, Max Beckmann, Heinrich Campendonk, Otto Dix, Lyonel Feininger, Natalia Goncharova, George Grosz, Erich Heckel, Alexej Jawlensky, Wassily Kandinsky, Ernst Ludwig Kirchner, Paul Klee, Gustav Klimt, Max Klinger, Kathe Kollowitz, El Lissitzky, Kazimir Malevich, László Moholy-Nagy, Marlow Moss, Otto Mueller, Edvard Munch, Emil Nolde, Christian Rohlfs and Egon Schiele.
Donated 2004 by Dorothy Carus via Dr. Gheorghe Costinescu and Mrs. Silvelin von Scanzoni Costinescu, the heirs and executors of Dorothy Carus Isserstedt's estate. Additions expected.
How to Use this Collection
- Authorization to publish, quote, or reproduce must be obtained from: Dr. Gheorghe Costinescu and Mrs. Silvelin von Scanzoni Costinescu, 120 Riverside Drive, Apt. 6-E, New York, NY 10024-3709.
- Use of original papers requires an appointment and is limited to the Archives' Washington, D.C., Research Center. Contact Reference Services for more information.
- For more information on using the Archives’ resources, see the FAQ or Ask Us.