Carrig-Rohane Shop (Boston, Mass.)
Collection size: 6.8 linear ft. (microfilmed on 9 reels)
Collection Summary: Frame patterns, frame orders and specifications, financial records, business records, printed material, a few sketches and works of art, and photographs document the founding, frame design and production, and financial transactions of the company, and to a much lesser extent, the framing operations of Vose Galleries postdating the dissolution of the corporation.
Biographical/Historical Note: Frame shop; Boston, Mass. Formed without a formal name ca. 1903 by painters Charles Prendergast, Hermann Dudley Murphy, and the carver and gilder Walfred Thulin. Beginning in 1906, was known as the Frame Shop of Hermann Dudley Murphy, and incorporated June 13, 1911 as the Thulin-Murphy Co. On Feb. 5, 1914, the name was changed to the Carrig-Rohane Shop after the Irish village of Murphy's father. In 1915, Murphy ceded the management to Robert C. Vose. At its peak, the shop employed fifteen people and provided custom frames to museums, galleries, and collectors throughout America. The corporation dissolved on March 29, 1939, and the operation moved to the Vose Galleries' premises.
Donated 1974-1987 by Robert C. Vose, Jr. Funding for processing and microfilming the collection was provided by Eli Wilner & Co.
How to Use this Collection
- Read the Finding Aid for this collection
- Microfilm reels 4974-4982 available for use at Archives of American Art offices and through interlibrary loan.
- Use of original papers requires an appointment and is limited to the Archives' Washington, D.C., Research Center. Microfilmed materials must be consulted on microfilm. Contact Reference Services for more information.
- For more information on using the Archives’ resources, see the FAQ or Ask Us.